- Target students for Academic Year 2021: Grades 7 ,8, 9
- Teach MYP Mathematics.
- Support project based learning classes for Integrated Studies.
- Liaise with other MYP classes to enhance English education in HiGA.
- Support afterschool English Activities.
- Attend professional development opportunities (e.g. IB MYP workshops and in-school PD).
- Design Curriculum.
- Attend staff meetings.
- Support entrance examination preparation.
- Support IB authorization work.
- Support ICT work (including ManageBac).
- Support homeroom teacher.
- Support general roles issued by the principal.
* We expect him/her to teach and prepare for Mathematics Approaches & Analysis, TOK
or Extended Essay in the IBDP.
* Your working time will be scheduled according to the term calendar.
* Job Commencing April 1st.
Subject to change by Hiroshima Prefecture.
1. Work place: Okushi, Osakikamijima-cho, Toyota-gun
HiGA is located on Osakikamijima, a remote island off the coast of Hiroshima. There is no bridge between the mainland and the island. A ferry service is the only travel option, therefore many teachers choose to live on the island.
2. Salary and support: \5,600 yen/hour (Salary term: monthly salary based on hourly rate and days per month).
Performance bonus: \ 1,300,000 yen per year.
Expected annual salary (including bonus): up to \ 8,300,000 yen
Allowance: transportation allowance (Public Transportation 4,666 JPD, upper limit, but it depends on your residence.)
3. Health insurance: Employee Pension, Employment Insurance (Hiroshima Prefectural Board of Education covers the half of the total cost).
The employee must cover the following costs.
■ Health insurance (average monthly 17 working days, no transportation allowance)
Under 40 years old : 32,532 yen / month
Over 40 years old : 38,350 yen / month
■ Employee pension
56,730 yen / month
■ Employment insurance premiums
(average monthly 17 working days, no transportation allowance)
1,927 yen / month
■ Income tax will be based on monthly salary earnings (changeable according to the number of your working days).
■ Residence tax will be based on last year’s salary earnings (payment organized independently of the school in the first year).
4. Working hours:
Weekdays: 10:30-18:00 including 45minute break. In case of work on Sat. 8:25-15:55 including 45 minute break This is sometimes subject to change on school event days.
5. Working shifts and Day off
(1) Working shift
The head of school will decide working shifts from Monday to Saturday according to the timetable.
(2) Day off
Maximum monthly working days shall be 20 days and maximum annual working days shall be about 190 days. Average monthly working days will be 17 days with possible fluctuations above and below on seasonal vacations, consecutive leave such as “Golden week”, and school events.
(3) An Annual paid holiday is 16 days.
English Level: Native level, If non-native, equivalent to CEFR C1 level
Japanese Level: Basic (Preferable)
Cover letter: Required/ Please include your educational philosophy in the cover letter
Visa Sponsorship: Available
Qualifications: Minimum 3-years bachelor’s degree
Requirements*: To fall under any of the following 1), 2) or 3),
1) To have experience teaching Mathematics and Mathematics Approaches & Analysis at a similar school or educational institution in Japan
2) To have experience working in a specialized field relating to the subject that you will apply for (at private company or overseas educational institutions.)
3) To have an overseas teaching license for the subject that you will apply for (Preferably to have teaching experience in an IB school.)
7. The following people are ineligible to apply
(1) An adult ward or a warrantee
(2) A person who has been sentenced to imprisonment or other severe punishment or currently under indictment.
(3) A person who has been given a dishonorable discharge or an undesirable discharge by the Hiroshima Prefecture or Hiroshima Prefectural Board of Education within the past two years.
(4) A person who has had his/her teacher's certificate revoked within the past three years.
(5) A person who is a member of the Personnel Commission or the Equity Commission who has been sentenced to the penalties due to the discrimination or breach of confidentiality.
(6) A person who has formed or joined a political party or other organization, which supports destruction of the Constitution of Japan or the national government formed under it through violence, on or after the date when the Constitution of Japan went into effect.
8. Ideal candidate
1. Motivation / Values
1-1. Strong comprehension of the missions, visions and values of the school
1-2. A high ethical sense and a strong passion for education
1-3. The empathy and passion necessary to be deeply involved in the learning, living, and well-being of students in a boarding school system
1-4. Motivation to continue professional development
1-5. Diversity of perspectives and awareness as a global citizen
1-6. Motivation to show agency and actively work with team members with diverse backgrounds
1-7. Motivation to be actively involved in the local community in Osakikamijima Town as well as the global network
2. Knowledge / Skills
2-1. High degree of expertise in their subjects (knowledge and skills concerning educational content)
2-2. High English proficiency
2-3. Facilitation skills to foster deep thinking among students
2-4. Strong commitment to the inquiry-based and project-based learning
2-5. Strong commitment to the philosophy and educational pedagogy used by the International Baccalaureate
2-6. Ability to engage in extracurricular activities and develop concept-based learning through hands-on activities
2-7.Accountability for holistic well-being and academic development of students
9. Recruiting steps
- 1st step: Document screening
The BoE will contact only those who passed the document screening to arrange a date for interview.
- 2nd Step: Interview on line
The candidates are required to send PDF files on the necessary qualification or certificates such as the residence card and teaching license.
The candidates are required to make a lesson plan and prepare materials following the given format and conditions prior to the interview. He/she can choose the best topic and create his/her own lesson plan.
The candidate will send the lesson plan to the interview and have a 15-minute demo lesson. He/she can use materials if necessary. Not all the materials are to be used for this demo lesson. The school staff will observe and evaluate the demo lesson, while they act as students. We will see how you design the lesson and interact with learners. A Q & A session about the demo lesson will be held afterwards.
The BoE will notify all candidates of the results and will contact successful applicants about requirements for the 3rd step.
-3rd Step: Interview face to face
Candidates are required to come to HiGA to take the 3rd interview. The BoE will notify successful applicants to organize paperwork for housing and licensing (applicants are free to organize their housing on the island).
*All travel costs are the responsibility of the applicant.
© 2021 GPlusMedia Inc. All Rights Reserved.
GaijinPot and CareerEngine are trademarks of GPlusMedia Inc. and part of the Fujisankei Communications Group.