- Be a native speaker of English
- 8+ years of experience teaching Business English
- Be able to travel to the client site (Tokyo Area)
- Experience teaching all levels (beginner, intermediate and advanced)
- Commit to a one year minimum contract period
- Accepting overseas applicants (visa sponsorship available)
Applicants would also be highly regarded if they have or hold:
- Education qualifications (e.g. TEFL, TESOL, CELTA)
- Previous corporate work experience
- Experience learning a second language and using it in real-life
- Bicultural or multicultural individuals
Anchorstar English is a communication-based Business English service with a focus on individual client impact and business impact. Our program is designed by business professionals with extensive experience in cross-cultural communication. Instructors teach one-to-one classes and work at the client site all day. Clients are working professionals at all levels of an organization: employees, managers, directors and CEOs.
Our services are designed around a set of beliefs that form the core of our philosophy:
- We believe communication is a tool to get the job done.
- We believe English is an international language, the emphasis should be on intelligibility rather than accent or sounding “native-like”.
- We believe in simple English—that using simple words and simple grammatical constructions is sufficient to communicate with global business partners.
- We believe in “using everything” to communicate.
- We believe education is a balancing act between process and product.
- We believe good teaching comes from the identity and integrity of our instructors.
- We believe classes should interesting, stimulating and practical.
- We believe in continuously refining our program and services to reflect best practices introduced in academia and real-world case studies.
Why Anchorstar English?
- We’re not a language school. We’re a consulting firm.
- We’re interested in interdisciplinary ideas and creating new services.
- We come from all over the world with different backgrounds and experiences.
- We’re not interested in the status quo. We want individuals to keep asking, “How can we do this better?”
What you’ll enjoy:
- Be instrumental in the development of our Anchorstar English program and services.
- Teach incredibly talented and inspiring clients who are leaders and experts in their respective fields.
- Travel around Tokyo and learn the ins and outs of Japanese business culture.
- Become a part of the Anchorstar community and work with a diverse and experienced team of business professionals.
- See the impact of your work on client and business growth.
- Have a regular work schedule during normal business hours (no weekend work).
The primary responsibility of instructors is to work closely with clients to lead them toward their language needs and communicative goals as to create business impact. More specifically, they:
- Travel to and work at the client site
- Deliver online classes when necessary
- Assess language needs and determine business goals with the team
- Deliver high-quality, communicative lessons customized to client needs and business goals
- Teach business skills (e.g. email writing, participating in meetings, presentations, etc.)
- Prepare for lessons (review lesson materials, create lesson plans, check homework)
- Give feedback to clients during the class in real-time
- Measure clients’ progress and score them on specific indicators
- Write detailed feedback for specific communicative activities and assessments
- Write a client progress report at the end of the course
- Communicate with clients directly regarding homework, feedback, last-minute schedule changes, offline/online classes, etc.
- Work with the team to improve the program and services
- Incorporate client feedback into their classes
- Must be able to inspire, educate, listen and coach
- Must be curious, empathic and positive
- Must be responsible, reliable and professional
- Must have strong communication skills, especially active listening and interviewing skills
- Must have an ability to create a safe environment and build strong relationships that inspire openness and trust
- Must be highly organized with a keen eye for detail
- Must have a client-first mentality (availability, speed of response, flexibility, empathy)
- Have an “exploration” mindset—open to change, new ideas and experiences
- Have an entrepreneurial spirit—always driving, growing and moving forward
- Have the ability to research new ideas and share new input with clients
- Have a high cultural intelligence and cultural sensitivity
Working Days: Monday to Friday
Working Hours: 10:00am to 5:00pm*
*Time might change depending on client needs (e.g. 9:30am - 16:30am)
7 clients per day / 55-minute classes
1 hour lunch break
Saturday and Sunday off
National/public holidays off
Travel reimbursement available (part-time)
Possible annual salary increments based on performance
- We provide regular support in the classroom to help
you grow as an instructor and professional. We have weekly calls with instructors for troubleshooting, discuss client progress, etc. on an individual basis.
- We provide instructor training workshops on demand and prior to the start of the assignment.
- We do instructor observations and give instructors feedback on their classes (as requested).
- We provide support for visa applications and renewals.
Last modified on 2023年3月10日
© 2023 GPlusMedia Inc. All Rights Reserved.
GaijinPot and CareerEngine are trademarks of GPlusMedia Inc. and part of the Gakken Group.