HiGA is located on an island called Osakikamijima. It is surrounded by the Seto Inland Sea, world-famous for its islands and areas of outstanding natural beauty. The island provides an ideal environment for students to cultivate their emotional and academic potential. We are a holistic learning community with a desire to create a future of wellbeing, peace, and sustainability. Becoming a teacher at HiGA means becoming are a part of our community. You will be involved in the development of students in our junior and senior high schools. Our school is accredited to teach the international Baccalaureate (IB) Middle Years Programme (MYP) and Diploma Programme (DP).
- manage the career counseling for Japanese and foreign universities.
- conduct interviews with students regarding their career, and to prepare them for their university applications.
- plan and implement career counseling sessions in collaboration with each grade level and the Career Guidance Department.
- gather information on entering universities using the IBDP and collaborating with universities
- share Information with teachers, students, and parents regarding career counseling.
- serve as a contact person for universities.
- develop new enrollment opportunities.
- support general/teaching roles issued by the head of school.
Requirements and eligibility to teach at HiGA
Cover letter: Required/ Please include your educational philosophy in the cover letter.
Qualifications 1: Minimum 3-year bachelor’s degree from a foreign university (subject-related)
Qualifications 2: Have a related degree/certificate that supports university career counseling
Qualifications 3: In principle, have graduated from the International Baccalaureates Diploma Programme.
Special Requirements (SR): To fall under any one of the following:
SR.1) To have experience in university career counseling* for Japanese and foreign universities. Additionally, have teaching experience in your subject area at a similar school, IB school or educational institution in Japan
SR.2) To have experience working in a specialized field relating to university career counseling* (at a private company or overseas educational institutions).
SR.3) To have an overseas teaching license for your subject area with experience in university career counseling* (Preferably to have teaching experience in an IB school.)
* Career Counseling: has experience sending students to foreign universities from IB schools or has experience in recruiting students from IB programmes for foreign universities.
English Level: Native level, if non-native, equivalent to CEFR C1 level
Japanese Level: Native level, if non-native, JLPT N1
The following people are ineligible to apply
- An adult ward or a warrantee
- A person who has been sentenced to imprisonment or other severe punishment or currently under indictment.
- A person who has been given a dishonorable discharge or an undesirable discharge by the Hiroshima Prefecture or Hiroshima Prefectural Board of Education within the past two years.
- A person who has had his/her teacher's certificate revoked within the past three years.
- A person who is a member of the Personnel Commission or the Equity Commission who has been sentenced to the penalties due to discrimination or breach of confidentiality.
- A person who has formed or joined a political party or other organization, which supports destruction of the Constitution of Japan or the national government formed under it through violence, on or after the date when the Constitution of Japan went into effect.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong comprehension of the missions, visions and values of HiGA
- A high ethical sense and a strong passion for education
- The empathy and passion necessary to be deeply involved in the learning, living, and well being of students in a boarding school system
- Motivation to continue professional development (especially in the field of university career counseling)
- Diversity of perspectives and awareness as a global citizen
- Motivation to show agency and actively work with team members with diverse backgrounds
- Motivation to be actively involved in the local community in Osakikamijima Town as well as the global network
- High degree of expertise in university career counseling
- Experienced teacher (knowledge and skills concerning educational theory, practice, and content)
- Able to communicate freely in a Japanese and English bilingual environment.
Weekdays: To be determined by the Head of School, however in principle, an average workday will be 6 hours and 45 minutes with a 45 minute lunch break. This is sometimes subject to change on school event days. A working period consists of a maximum of 116 hours 15 minutes per 4 weeks. You will also receive 16 paid leave days per year.
Salary and support
JPY 4,100/hour (Salary term: monthly salary based on hourly rate and days per month).
Allowance: transportation allowance (Public Transportation will be paid up to a specified amount).
1st step: Document screening
HiGA will contact only those who have passed the document screening to arrange a date for an interview. HiGA will contact successful applicants within 3 weeks, following the end of the recruitment phase.
2nd Step: Online interview
The candidates are required to send PDF files of the necessary qualification/s and certificates such as the residence card and teaching license. HiGA will notify successful applicants about the requirements for the third step within 3 weeks of this interview.
3rd Step: Interview face to face
Candidates are required to come to HiGA for the 3rd interview. Successful candidates will also have a meeting with the vice principal to discuss the organization of paperwork for housing and licensing (candidates are free to independently organize their housing on the island).
*All travel costs are the responsibility of the candidate.
Last modified on April 15, 2022
The above information is a public job ad. This job ad is neither an offer nor a contract.
© 2023 GPlusMedia Inc. All Rights Reserved.
GaijinPot and CareerEngine are trademarks of GPlusMedia Inc. and part of the Gakken Group.