Job Title: Japanese Top Secret Cleared Linguists
Citizenship: U.S. Citizen, required
Clearance: Active Top Secret required
Start date: June 2020
Schedule: Full Time; 40 hours per week
Language on Demand, Inc. is a government contracting firm located in Northern Virginia that offers a full range of language/staffing services including translation, interpretation, and Language instruction for federal and commercial clients.
LOD is seeking Top Secret cleared full-time Japanese linguists to support the U.S government agency in Japan. We seek a person who possesses the ability to work independently, as well as cohesively, to provide on-site interpretation, translation services and cultural advisory services in support of operational demands and support requirements. The detailed duties and responsibilities are listed below.
Qualified linguists must:
• Have Associates degree or 2 years of college
• Have experience working in or with the military is desired
• Fluently read, write, speak and understand English
• Score at least a 4/4/3 (Listening, Reading, and Speaking) in Japanese as measured by the Interagency Language Roundtable (ILR) or the Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT).
• Obtain a score of at least 94 as measured by the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) iBT scoring methodology. TOEFL will not apply to native English speakers.
• Possess native proficiency in the Designated Target Language is preferred.
• Provide comprehensive linguist support
• Interact unobtrusively with the local populace
• Function during a level of heightened state of threat, and during extended periods of high pressure and stress.
• Function as an integral number of a team of highly trained professionals, engaging with host nation personnel, foreign national personnel, and members of the local populace outside the confines of any U.S. or Allied facility/base/cantonment.
• Conduct consecutive, accurate translation and summarizations of material, while maintaining integrity and meaning.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Linguists operating in a contingency environment will work up to 84 hours per week. The number of linguists will also increase according to mission needs.
• Responsible for knowing and adhering to the SOFA governing their assigned.
• Provide direct translation services in support of liaison operations, intelligence collection, interrogations, and other force projection operations.
• Independently coordinate, receive, triage, prioritize, screen, translate, transcribe, interpret, report, disseminate, store, and archive captured, seized, or otherwise acquired hardcopy or electronic documents and media.
• Must be able and willing to review raw, unfiltered media.
• Provide the cultural and ethnic context of conversational engagements, and provide information to the supported DIA officers regarding the cultural and ethnic significance of statements, conversations, situations, documents, etc.
• Provide effective and accurate real-time interpretation between English and Japanese, including colloquial, military, and slang words/phrases that may alter meaning
• Attend meetings and provide real-time interpretation support to the government officers engaging with various foreign nationals, and to participate in relevant pre-mission planning and post-mission analysis/debriefings
• Provide cultural familiarization and intercultural awareness advisory support.
• Understand all styles/forms of speech in the target language and English, and have a strong sensitivity to sociolinguistic and cultural references.
• Conduct consecutive interpretations during in-person and telephonic engagements.
• Write effectively in most formal and informal exchanges.
• Quickly visually scan and process a large amount of material for critical and essential elements.
• Understand speech in a standard dialect, including inferences and emotional overtones, while rarely having to ask for paraphrasing or explanation.
• Facilitate tailored language to fit an audience to counsel, persuade, negotiate, and/or represent a point of view based on Government guidance.
• Mon – Fri, eight hours per day, five days per week. May be required to work more than eight hours per day based on mission requirements.
Salary and Benefits:
• Salary: It will be determined based on experience.
• 100% Medical/Dental/Vision insurance provided
• Life/STD insurance
The above information is a public job ad. This job ad is neither an offer nor a contract.
© 2020 GPlusMedia Inc. All Rights Reserved.
GaijinPot and CareerEngine are trademarks of GPlusMedia Inc. and part of the Fujisankei Communications Group.