Research Assistant, Asia Pacific Initiative (API)
Asia Pacific Initiative (API) seeks a Research Assistant to its Chairman, Dr Yoichi Funabashi. This is an exciting and rare opportunity to help shape public debate, as well as Japan's domestic and global policy.
API is a Tokyo-based independent think tank formed in 2011. It was originally established as Rebuild Japan Initiative Foundation (RJIF) in response to the Fukushima disaster of March 2011. In 2017, it was restructured into API, reflecting its shift from domestic policy issues to foreign policy issues in the Asia-Pacific region. Its mission is to critically investigate the challenges facing Japan and the Asia-Pacific region, strengthen Japan’s role in upholding the liberal international order and act as an incubator for innovative policy proposals.
The Chairman of API, Dr Yoichi Funabashi, is the former editor-in-chief of the Asahi Shimbun and one of Japan's most prominent and internationally respected public intellectuals. API regularly collaborates with globally recognized institutions such as Harvard University, the University of Cambridge, the World Economic Forum, the Brookings Institution, the Center for Strategic and International Studies, the Center for American Progress, the Council on Foreign Relations, the International Institute for Strategic Studies, the Australian National University, and others.
Personal research assistant to Chairman Yoichi Funabashi.
Depending on experience, the candidate may also be asked to support or manage events and projects. Since the candidate will be working directly with the Chairman, this is a key strategic position within the institution with a high degree of responsibility.
- Research/writing (including articles, op-eds and papers in English for global media) on Japan's domestic politics, diplomacy, national security, economy and technological innovation, as well as geopolitics, geoeconomics and geotechnology in the Indo-Pacific region
- Collecting, summarizing, and creating abridged translations of publicly available information (such as books, essays, newspaper articles, etc.) covering a broad range of themes (current affairs including politics, diplomatic security, international relations and economics)
- Leading one or more projects by managing and delegating tasks, overseeing interns, and communicating with partners
- Managing Chairman Funabashi's schedule and overseas business trips in coordination with his Executive Assistant
- Creating research memos and organizing material for conferences and interviews, transcribing text and producing summaries
- Writing speeches, assisting with preparation for panels, and drafting letters and e-mails in English for Chairman Funabashi
- Assisting with event-planning and event management
- Assisting in project management and cross-border collaborations
- Liaising with world leaders, government officials, CEOs, policy analysts, and others
- Providing Japanese-English/English-Japanese translation support for public relations activities and other office work
- Transcription work
- Other work related to the above
What we are looking for:
• Native English speaker
• Skilled writer
• Advanced Japanese language skills (above business level; at least JLPT N2)
• Excellent teamwork and communication skills
• Interest and knowledge of international affairs or Japanese and Asian politics
• Ability to work at pace
• Strong organizational skills
• Able to prioritize and compromise effectively
• Aspiration to work in politics, journalism or academia
• Preferably living in Japan now and/or has experience in a Japanese working environment
Pay: Dependent upon previous experience
Others: Commuting fees and insurance covered
Job type: Full time
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (overtime and occasional weekends required)
Starting date: May 2020
For those apt and interested, please submit your CV in English and Japanese and a covering letter in English including reasons for applying, strengths you will bring to the position and your current situation.
Unsuccessful applicants will not be contacted. Apologies in advance.
The above information is a public job ad. This job ad is neither an offer nor a contract.
© 2020 GPlusMedia Inc. All Rights Reserved.
GaijinPot and CareerEngine are trademarks of GPlusMedia Inc. and part of the Fujisankei Communications Group.