Combine the best of two worlds in this unique opportunity to join the pastry production team of a traditional Japanese company!
Established in 1871 by the chief cook of Odawara castle, CHINRIU has become a well-known brand known for our high quality and unique flavors, infusing Western pastries with traditional Japanese ingredients such as ume plums, red shiso, and sakura. In our sweets department we are not only committed to creating delicious and beautifully presented pastries, but are also striving to create recipes that find the perfect harmony between everyone’s favorite Western sweets and the traditional Japanese ingredients that form the foundations of our family business.
We are currently looking to strengthen our team with an enthusiastic, creative patissier who is willing to expand his/her knowledge in a dynamic, multi-cultural environment. Due to the nature of our company, you will not only be involved with producing and preparing our pastry items, but also get full insight in the traditional Japanese food culture with its ingredients, production methods and our broad network of traditional producers.
This hands-on position will allow you to now only train your skills, but develop them while learning about uniquely Japanese ingredients and production methods. You will be part of a small, experienced team in which you do not only learn and grow, but also get the opportunity to contribute your ideas for future menus. This opportunity is ideal for those just starting their career and searching of an environment in which they can immediately put their skills to test, or for professionals wanting to gain new skills and knowledge in a Japanese setting.
Our sweets are sold in all three of our shops in Odawara and Hakone. You will be working in our office in Odawara, which is a beautiful city with a rich history, near the ocean and within easy travel distance to popular areas such as Hakone, Kamakura, Yokohama and Tokyo. The position would be suitable for full-time, part-time and working holiday applicants and we will be able to help the right candidate with visa sponsorship and finding housing in
Our executive Pastry Chef has more than 10 years of experience working as Pastry Chef of Michelin-starred restaurants in the USA, and has strong knowledge on both Western and Japanese pastries. This is your chance to learn new techniques from a highly skilled professional!
- Prepare a wide variety of pastries, including cakes, cookies, pies and bread, following traditional and innovative recipes
- Seasonal pound cakes which feature local specialties such as Ume, Odawara lemon, Sakura cherry blossoms
- Ume Galette, Lemon Galette, Macarons, Japanese style sweets
- Chocolate cake and Cheesecake
- Fruit jellies (during summer)
- Wrapping and packaging our pastries, so they can be sold on our stores.
- Monitor stocks for baking ingredients such as flour, sugar etc. and make appropriate orders within budget
- Maintain a lean and orderly cooking station and adhere to health and safety standards
- Create new and exciting desserts to renew our menus and engage the interest of customers
TRULY BILINGUAL WORKING ENVIRONMENT
- 2 - 3 years of experience in a related position in a bakery, restaurants or pastry shop
- Conversational Japanese skills
- Knowledge of weights, measurements, volume and cooking procedures
- Experience with Japanese culture and/or the willingness to learn about it
- Working Holiday OK
- Visa Sponsorship Available (you need to have 8 years of experience as a chef and/or in pastry)
- We will help you to find local housing
The above information is a public job ad. This job ad is neither an offer nor a contract.
© 2021 GPlusMedia Inc. All Rights Reserved.
GaijinPot and CareerEngine are trademarks of GPlusMedia Inc. and part of the Fujisankei Communications Group.