M’s English is continuing to grow! We are a private English conversation school with over 20 years of experience in the Takasaki and Maebashi area of Gunma Prefecture. Our school offers lessons to students of all ages and often travels to pre-schools, companies, and universities to teach. We also have an established publishing company and publish most of our own materials. We currently have about 34 employees and need a few more for the new school year.
M’s is seeking a native English instructor AND a Japanese English teacher to teach at various locations in the Takasaki/Maebashi area. We specifically require a teacher experienced in teaching. You must be comfortable teaching all ages (0-100). We would like to start training for the new school year by February of 2023, but may be flexible with a full-time start date if you can come in for training before the new school year begins in April. We are prepared to sponsor a visa to candidates living outside of Japan, but prioritize those currently living in Japan.
Teachers at M's teach a variety of lessons, both in-house and around the community. In-house lessons are small groups or private lessons, following a standard curriculum M's has curated over the past two-decades. Teachers are given freedom to tailor their lessons based on their students' needs. New teachers have the support of senior instructors should they face challenging classes or need advice on how to best get through to their students. In-house lessons include, but are not limited to, pre-k and kindergarten group or private lessons, elementary group or private lessons, junior high school group or private lessons, high school private lessons, adult private lessons, senior group lessons, after-school English time, after school STEAM classes, EIKEN lessons, and online English lessons. Traveling English lessons include, but are not limited to, pre-k and kindergarten group lessons, university conversation classes, and business language classes. Our school also offers Korean, Chinese, and Japanese lessons. We have an after-school program that extends to all-day summer camp from July-August. We also offer special events and field trips throughout the year to our students. A typical day for our team requires meeting at the main branch, communicating with office staff members about the schedule and requirements each day, preparing for lessons, teaching interactive engaging lessons, traveling to various places to teach lessons, working on projects or materials in your free time, and helping other teachers when they need assistance.
Workers are given a maximum of 100 hours of teaching time a month. Other time is spent on planning, projects, or other tasks to benefit the company or its students. We give teachers a
lot of time to prepare so every class can be given the energy that it deserves. Teachers are required to work Tuesday-Saturday and about six Sundays a year. The time of work varies depending on the schedule and could start at 8am and end at 5pm or start at 1pm and end at 10pm. We cannot guarantee any particular schedule.
Takasaki is a mid-sized Japanese city in the Gunma prefecture. We offer help finding and securing an apartment within walking distance to M’s main branch. Gunma is surrounded by mountains, hots springs, and natural beauty. It is common for our team members to go hiking and explore the prefecture on the weekends. Tokyo is only an hour-long bullet train ride away, perfect for a day trip.
- must hold a valid International Driving Permit or Japanese Driver’s License (a company car is used for traveling to and from off-site lessons)
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in any field
- Native English ability for Native English teachers
- Business level English ability or higher for Japanese instructors
- Native English teachers must show proof of citizenship from a country where the official language is English
- We prefer candidates that are able to start in the January or February of 2023
Preferences and added bonuses:
To encourage personal and professional growth M’s offers incentives for the following certifications. All amounts are paid as a one-time bonus upon completion your contract at M’s.
• Master’s degree in TESOL/TEFL holders: 30,000 yen
• CELTA holders: 20,000 yen
• TEFL Certificate holders (obtained on-site, inclusive of practicum): 20,000 yen
• TEFL Certificate holders (obtained online, minimum 120 hours): 10,000 yen
• JLPT N2: 20,000 yen
• JLPT N1: 30,000 yen
- A sense of community. More than anything, we are looking for someone with flexibility, an open mind and a thirst for constant professional improvement. Our team is very closely knit and willing to help each other. The right person to add to this team does not necessarily need to be an experienced teacher but should be willing to take feedback and be conscientious of those around them.
- A sense of purpose in the ESL field. Our teachers are creating programs according to their strengths, such as: our English STEM program, creating materials to be published, editing for our publishing department, app development, giving presentations about our company at educational seminars, creating curricula, translation work, event planning, etc. Professional growth is the highlight of the position.
- Leadership opportunities for those who wish to excel, and corresponding pay incentives.
- A 160-hour work month (max of 100-lesson hours a month). We offer over-time pay, 5-days of paid sick-leave, consecutive days off each week (usually Sunday and Monday), and extra pay for working the mandatory Sunday events each year.
- Six weeks of paid vacation a year – two weeks in August, two weeks over Christmas / New Year, one week in April/May for Golden Week and one week in September for Silver Week. Holidays for the year are announced in April, at the start of the academic year.
- Visa Sponsorship and relocation support. While no monetary support is offered, we help applicants find an apartment, set up bank accounts, and go to City Hall on arrival.
Candidates will be contacted through GaijinPot and subsequently emailed. We have a three-step interview process to allow candidates to meet more of our team and come to understand the culture at M’s. Please submit the following updated documents:
1) Cover Letter
2) Resume (please include your current city/country of residence)
3) One current photo
Feel free to check out our school website and publishing website in our profile to the right. We are also searchable on Youtube: 子どもの未来を応援する!エムズ英会話 if you wish to meet some of your future coworkers.
Last modified on February 15, 2023
The above information is a public job ad. This job ad is neither an offer nor a contract.
© 2023 GPlusMedia Inc. All Rights Reserved.
GaijinPot and CareerEngine are trademarks of GPlusMedia Inc. and part of the Gakken Group.