We are looking for motivated people with strong English skills and a desire to share their language and culture with a wide range of Japanese customers in a relaxed and casual conversation café setting. No suits required!
• An articulate and fluent English speaker (can be non-native).
• Open-minded and outgoing, able to lead a conversation on various topics.
• Able to interact and engage with various kinds of people.
• Reliable and punctual with a strong sense of responsibility.
• Open to new ideas and able to work in an innovative environment.
• Excellent time management skills.
• Work Visa valid for at least 6 months.
• Must be available for in-person interviews in Tokyo.
▼ Position Details and Responsibilities
The Mate will provide a platform for the members to share their experiences by facilitating a group conversation. Our Mates' main duties are to lead conversations between small groups in English. We have a wide range of customers, requiring the mate to be comfortable conversing with a variety of personalities and perspectives. LanCul accommodates a wide age range of members, and mates are expected to engage everyone at the table.
We are more interested more in your communication skills than formal teaching qualifications, so students and those lacking experience are encouraged to apply.
*Successful applicants are expected to work a minimum of 3 shifts/week.
*For full-time opportunities, please check our website for more information.
Mates are expected to:
• Facilitate and moderate group conversations for Japanese English speakers of various skill levels.
• Assist in the hosting of events.
• Learn to utilize our proprietary management app.
• Be able to cover at least 3 shifts per week (there is no cap for those of you who would like to work more).
• Willing to travel to many different locations across Tokyo.
▼ Compensation & Incentives
The starting salary for a Part-Time Mate is 1,020 yen per hour.
Salary can be increased at regular intervals, based on time and performance; up to 1,200 yen per hour.
In addition, LanCul offers an attractive and flexible incentive system:
• Each new joining customer during your shift will net you an additional 500 yen.
• Joining LanCul international parties will net you 2,000 yen per party (possible twice every month).
• Overtime pay: you are incentivized to begin your shift early and end your shift late, as you will be compensated by the minute (up to 15 minutes each).
• Referral bonus: If we hire someone you recommend to LanCul, you will receive a bonus of 5,000 yen (for part-time) and 10,000 (full-time).
• Transportation allowance of 20,000 yen/month.
• Free food and drink at parties.
Please note that this position will require you to work at multiple branches in Tokyo. Our Mates are assigned a team according to their home address.
Team A: Shimokitazawa, Shinjuku, Omotesando, Ikebukuro, and Kichijoji.
Team B: Omotesando, Ochanomizu, Ueno, Ginza, Shiodome, Otemachi, and Akihabara.
Team C: Shibuya, Daikanyama, Jiyugaoka, Futako-Tamagawa, and Shinagawa.
▼ About Us
Our company's aim is to create a community of confident English speakers through language and cultural exchange. Our purpose is to open people's minds to the rich diversity in language and culture. We aim to create a community through the exchange of values and ideas to promote diversity and openness. By encouraging all LanCul employees to question the status quo and think outside the box, we will continue to grow and become a leading brand in the industry. In order to achieve this, we work passionately and act with honesty. We cherish our relationships with every customer and aim to provide a wholesome and safe environment for language and cultural exchange.
Our company has been in the English Cafe business since 2012 and has expanded to over a dozen branches across Tokyo.
Interested? In your cover letter, we would like you to provide answers to the following questions:
1. Why are you interested in joining the LanCul team as an English Facilitator?
2. What are some recent setbacks that you've gone through this past year and how were you able to overcome these obstacles?
3. When would you be available for a 30 minute phone interview? Please give your availability for the next two weeks.
4. Based on your home station, which team (A or B) would you like to join?
We would also like ask you to please include at least two professional references complete with telephone numbers, email addresses, and their affiliates.
Your application will be reviewed by our recruiting team and all successful candidates will be contacted directly. Thank you for applying to LanCul and we look forward to hearing from you!
© 2019 GPlusMedia Inc. All Rights Reserved.
GaijinPot and CareerEngine are trademarks of GPlusMedia Inc. and part of the Fujisankei Communications Group.