About UN University
For the past four decades, UNU has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on the pressing global problems of human survival, conflict prevention, development, and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 13 countries, UNU’s work spans the full breadth of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe.
About the Office of Communications
The Office of Communications (OC) at UNU Centre in Tokyo implements and oversees UNU’s communications strategy, including web, visual identity, branding, media relations, and content development/delivery in English and Japanese. The OC works in collaboration with communication focal points across the University’s global network of institutes and programmes to best articulate and meet UNU communication goals.
Specifically, the OC:
• develops and maintains UNU’s core web platform, with input from institutes and stakeholders;
• employs social media channels to further the reach of UNU’s output;
• leads development of UNU’s brand/identity and guides its implementation and elaboration;
• establishes the editorial tone and style for core communications outputs (such as the UNU website, Our World blog, annual report, and promotional materials);
• coordinates local and international media activities with press and media outlets, often in collaboration with focal points and partners; and
• provides general support, training, and guidance to UNU’s global network of institutes.
The OC, supported by stakeholders from across the UNU system, is currently leading a project to collaboratively redevelop UNU’s brand and online presence. The UNU Web Platform Development Project aims to combine all UNU institutes’ primary websites (30+) together onto the same platform, redevelop shared databases, and create a cohesive UNU web experience through similar design and user experience. The project has three phases:
1. Phase I: Branding - Redefine UNU’s identity, organisational vision, values, and impact on society and with stakeholders.
2. Phase II: Strategy and Design - Translate the outcomes from the Branding phase into a visual identity and a UNU web strategy (i.e. who our audiences are, how we want to engage with them online, and what the best web design and structure are to achieve that).
3. Phase III: Development - Technical build and implementation of the architecture designed in the Strategy and Design phase.
Working under the supervision of the Head of Communications, and in close cooperation with the OC team and personnel from across the UNU system, the Project Management Specialist will:
• Manage and coordinate all administrative project activities related to the UNU Web Platform Development Project, applying best-practice project management methodologies. Manage day-to-day project implementation and overall coordination of project outcomes.
• Work closely with substantive experts (in OC and throughout the UNU system) to ensure fit-to-purpose processes and procedures.
• Liaise with contracted vendors to ensure the agreed process remain on time and within budget.
• Guide the efforts and contributions of consultants, staff, and partners towards achievement of project objectives, while championing the vision, objectives, and deliverables of the project.
• Manage effective communication and coordination between all project stakeholders, ensuring all are informed, consulted, and engaged.
• Manage, maintain, and organise all project-related documentation in SharePoint.
• Manage the identification, monitoring, and mitigation of project-related risks.
• Establish effective coordination, monitoring, information sharing and reporting systems.
• Identity, evaluate, and document “lessons learned” during the project.
• Support engagement with project leadership (Project Board, UNU Council, and UNU directors).
• Support the request for proposal processes required to secure qualified vendors as needed.
• Support conflict management and negotiation processes.
• Conduct other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Advanced degree in international development, communications, social sciences, public administration or other relevant field.
• Minimum five (5) years of project management experience with projects of similar size, scope.
• Recent experience with, and certification in, multiple project management methodologies, including Agile and PRINCE2.
• Experience working in a highly collaborative, flat-team structure.
• Exemplary verbal and written communications skills in English.
• Exemplary organisational, planning, time management, and performance management skills.
• Strong people skills, with proven ability to coordinate disparate groups of people, and to mediate conflict towards a constructive conclusion.
• Working proficiency with Trello, Slack, and Sharepoint preferred.
• Experience working in international environments as part of the multilateral process.
• Ideal candidate will be a detail-oriented team player, able to work within tight deadlines and motivate others.
UNU is an inclusive employer and endeavors to create a culture of inclusiveness. Applications from suitably qualified female candidates or underrepresented groups are particularly encouraged.
Remuneration will be commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate.
Duration of Contract:
This is full-time employment on a twelve (12) month Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract with UNU, with the possibility for extension subject to satisfactory work performance.
This is a locally recruited post and no relocation allowances apply. The successful candidate will be employed under a local contract and will not hold international civil service status nor be a “staff member” as defined in the UN Staff Rules and Regulations.
Starting Date: As soon as possible.
Interested applicants should submit their application materials through this portal.
Applications must include the following:
1. a cover letter detailing how your qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position, and what specific contributions you can make to the organisation;
2. a complete curriculum vitae (résumé); please include links to any recent work that demonstrates your skills inyour cover letter;
We look forward to receiving your application.
© 2019 GPlusMedia Inc. All Rights Reserved.
GaijinPot and CareerEngine are trademarks of GPlusMedia Inc. and part of the Fujisankei Communications Group.